Friday, March 9, 2012

How can I resolve this modem/wireless router issue?

I want to set up my old router (http://www.alice-wiki.de/Alice_Modem_112鈥?/a> at my girlfriends place because we use the same provider and the company had sent her a crappy cheap modem/router with only 1 port. At first there was no indication that the Internet was connected but after using the setup program and entering her account details I was able to connect with to the router and to the Internet wirelessly using my EEEPc netbook. Immediately afterword, I tried connect her MacBook Pro(10.X) wirelessly using the network key. The key was accepted but no Internet access was granted so the computer connects to the router wirelessly but to the Internet.



The router must be working though because when she connects via PPOE everything works fine which indicates that the Internet is accessible through the router but the router is failing to make the Internet accessible via wireless. I AM able to connect to the router via wireless.



What am I doing wrong? When I look at the router login page, it says connected to the Internet.



???How can I resolve this modem/wireless router issue?
Dude! It's a DNS server thing: Change your settings



Mac: System Preferences%26gt;Network%26gt;DNS Tab%26gt;Add DNS, fill the number boxes as listed in the thread below.



http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2139061



PC: Same deal, System Settings, Network, Internet Protocol, click the manual radio box in the bottom half of the window then add the DNS numbers.



Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment