Friday, March 9, 2012

Why avoid using the word THAN? ("Alice is better than Bob." etc.)?

Of course, between US/UK English one cannot argue which is proper. e.g. "recognize/recognise" etc. However on the Internet, you'd find many articles/guides written by highly educated native English speakers/writers ("native" as opposed to "native proficient") who continue to use THEN instead of THAN: e.g. "T9A is better THEN Y3B." Is this some type of a standardized Internet English writing style?



It's quite common for non-native English speakers to make errors such as "Have you ever saw the movie~." (seen) or "Its not my fault, your just careless." (It's, you're) or when using "Not only" in a sentence but "better THEN~?" They must be avoiding the use of "than" but why? *Yes I've read; http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Than



Again, my question is not "How do I use THAN/THEN?" however WHY do many authors (not for the sake of his/her writing style or sounding original) avoid the use of THAN.



Thanks.Why avoid using the word THAN? ("Alice is better than Bob." etc.)?
Feel better now?









Oh, I agree with you.

-MMWhy avoid using the word THAN? ("Alice is better than Bob." etc.)?
Polished authors and poets do use "than" when they write similes. Otherwise "than" is a ten-cent word when writers should be choosing twenty-five cents words.



By the way, your question reminds me of, "Like I said..." instead of, "As I said."Why avoid using the word THAN? ("Alice is better than Bob." etc.)?
I hope you realize that then is incorrect in the context you used it. Than is correct.

"Than" for a comparison between two things.

"Then" indicates a sequence of time.
How do you know those Internet pieces are "written by highly educated native English speakers/writers"? If they made a mistake like that, I would doubt it.



Typos can happen, of course, but this is more systematic misspelling than just an occasional typo.

No comments:

Post a Comment